One of the best things about healthy eating is guilt-free desserts.
German Chocolate Cake
A delicious guilt-free dessert.
Note: coconut milk needs to be refrigerated 24 hours before use so coconut water and fat can be separated.
- 2 1/4 cups almond flour (blanched is better in this recipe)
- 2/3 cups cocoa
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 2/3 cup flax seed plus 2 cups water (replaces 9 eggs)
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 24 drops sweetener,liquid Stevia or 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Mixed Flax seed and water together and set aside.
- Grease bottoms and sides of two cake pans with olive oil. Place parchment paper in the bottom by cutting to pan size.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Mix wet ingredients with flax seed and water mixture.
- Pour wet into dry ingredients and mix well by hand. Stir in chocolate chips, if you’re using them.
- Pour into pans and bake for 40 minutes (I bake at high altitude and you might want to check sooner) if needed. Cake might fall and that’s okay. Check center with fork or toothpick and it will come out dry when ready. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before removing from pans.
- After cake has completely cooled, frost with German Chocolate Frosting (recipe below).
- 2 cans coconut milk, full fat
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch or tapioca starch
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- Turn cans of coconut upside down and open with can opener. Drain off clear liquid until the white coconut fat is left. Poor into medium size pan and turn on low to medium heat.
- Mix in maple syrup, vanilla, starch and whisk together while heating. As frosting heats it will thicken. Add coconut and pecans once thickened and continue stirring for a few minutes, remove from heat.
- Frost cake (make sure it is completely cooled first) and enjoy!
This is a tasty dessert treat.