The warm smell of baking apples and cinnamon definitely says Fall is here. Apples are in season now, so take advantage of their flavor to make a delicious homemade apple pie. Store-bought pastry can quicken the process but homemade pastry adds great flavor to your pie. The best pie apples are Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, Golden Delicious, Rome, Jonathan, Braeburn, or Northern Spy.
Homemade Apple Pie
Enjoy the smell and taste of Fall with Homemade Apple Pie.
Recipe shared by: Jovina Coughlin of Jovina Cooks
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose or pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 sticks chilled unsalted butter
- 4-6 tablespoons of ice water
- To make the dough for the pie crust, mix the flour, salt, and sugar in a medium-size bowl.
- Cut 2 sticks of chilled unsalted butter into pieces. With a pastry blender, cut in butter, working until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Add 4 tablespoons ice water; working it in with your hands until dough comes together. If the dough is still crumbly, add more ice water a tablespoon at a time. Do not overwork.
- Divide the dough in half, and flatten halves into disks. Wrap disks separately in plastic; refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- To form the pie shell, place one dough section on a floured surface and roll it out to make a 14-inch round.
- Wrap around rolling pin and carefully unroll dough over a 9-inch pie plate. Fit gently into the bottom and side of the pan.
- Trim the dough to a 1-inch overhang; fold edges under, and seal to form a rim. Crimp rim with fingertips and knuckle.
- Set aside.
- 6 thinly sliced, peeled apples
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons pie thickener or all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Granulated sugar
Directions To Finish The Pie:
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, gently mix the filling ingredients and spoon into crust-lined pie plate.
- Dot the filling with the 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Roll out the remaining dough to an 11-inch circle.
- Top the pie with the second crust. Wrap excess top crust under bottom crust edge, pressing edges together to seal; flute.
- Sprinkle the top of the crust with granulated sugar. Cut slits in several places in the top crust.
- Place the pie on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes and then lower the oven temperature to 375°F.
- Continue to bake for 25 minutes or until the apples are tender and the crust is golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack at least 2 hours before serving.