It is strawberry season in my area and their beauty is hard to resist. You can make some wonderful dishes with them but nothing is more pleasing than Strawberry Shortcake. Here is a healthy version that will help you celebrate the beginning of Spring.
Almond Flour Cake
Recipe shared by: Jovina Coughlin of Jovina Cooks
- 4 large eggs, room temperature and separated
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Strawberry topping
- Whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray an 8″ round cake pan with cooking spray Line the bottom of the pan with parchment and spray the parchment. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the sugar into the bottom of the pan.
- Using an electric mixer or stand mixer, whip the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Slowly beat in 1/4 cup sugar. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- Beat together the egg yolks, 1/4 cup of the sugar, and the vanilla in the mixer bowl until smooth.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients — flours, baking powder, and salt — and add to the egg yolks. Stir together to form a thick dough.
- Fold in the egg whites, 1/2 cup at a time, incorporating them fully between each addition. The final addition should result in a smooth, fluffy batter.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan. Bake the cake on the center rack for 30 to 35 minutes, until it’s golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the sides, then turn the cake out onto a serving plate.
- Allow the cake to cool fully before topping with sliced strawberries and whipped cream.
Strawberries 2 cartons of strawberries, cored and cut in half. Place in a mixing bowl and sweeten to taste with honey or a liquid sugar substitute. Cover and refrigerate for several hours.
Whipped Cream 1 cup of heavy cream whipped into soft peaks. Sweeten with ¼ cup sugar or sugar substitute.
To serve: Cut cake into serving pieces. Top generously with strawberries and top with a few tablespoons of whipped cream.
Agree with you about strawberries and Spring. Sadly nothing has arrived yet that passes the smell test. If you’re in the greengrocers and can’t smell the strawberries, they’re not ready.