When you are trying to reduce the carbohydrates in your diet, you will still want to keep your menu interesting and good tasting. Eggs are a great breakfast or lunch item when you are low “carbing” but a good way to make them more diverse is to use them in a quiche. To keep it low carb, you need to make the crust with low carb ingredients, such as almond flour.
I actually prefer this crust to a regular pie crust for quiche and I love the flavors of spinach and feta cheese together. I hope you like this low carb quiche combination also.
Spinach And Feta Cheese Quiche
A delicious low carb quiche great for lunch, dinner or even breakfast.
Recipe shared by: JOVINA COOKS
- 2 cups almond flour
- 3 tablespoons cold salted butter, diced into small cubes
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon Greek seasoning (or 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning), optional
- 16 oz. fresh baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup finely diced sweet onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 5 large eggs
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place all crust ingredients in a medium bowl. Cut butter and egg into the almond flour with a pastry cutter until the flour is thoroughly moistened. Press the crust mixture into a greased 9.5″ or 10″ pie pan using your hands and fingertips. Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until lightly browned; remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Increase the oven temp to 375 degrees F. In a non-stick skillet, saute onions and garlic in olive oil until tender; remove to a mixing bowl and set aside to cool. In the same skillet, saute spinach, just until wilted.
- Place the spinach in the bowl with the onions and garlic; leave at room temperature until cool. Add feta, dill, lemon zest, pepper, eggs, and cream to the cooled spinach. Mix until well combined. Pour the mixture into the baked crust.
- Place the pie pan on a baking sheet and bake for about 45 minutes; or until the filling is lightly brown and slightly puffed. Remove to a cooling rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.