Flaxseed is the seed of the flax plant and there is evidence that it is a great way to incorporate dietary fiber, antioxidants, and omega-3 fatty acids into your diet. Unlike sunflower seeds or pepitas, flaxseed doesn’t make for the best eating straight from the bag, since we can’t properly digest it whole. It’s easy, however, to add ground flaxseed to your diet by adding a tablespoon of ground flaxseed to your food. For example, add a tablespoon to your breakfast cereal or add a teaspoon to mayonnaise or mustard when making a sandwich. Mix a tablespoon of ground flaxseed into an 8-ounce container of yogurt or add ground flaxseed into cookies, muffins, bread dough when baking
Flaxseed is the secret ingredient in this recipe and this baked chicken is so delicious that you will think it is fried.
Parmesan Chicken Tenders
Serve the chicken fingers with a blue cheese dip or, my favorite, over Greek Salad.
- 1 to 1 ¼ lb chicken tenders (fingers), about 12 chicken tenders
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- Olive Oil Nonstick Cooking Spray
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour, gluten-free flour or low carb flour
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- Place the chicken tenders in a ziplock plastic bag and gently pound to an even thickness, about ¼ -inch thick. Add the buttermilk to the bag and seal it. Squish the contents around to ensure all of the chicken is coated with buttermilk. Marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Heat the oven to 425ºF. Line a baking sheet with foil, and coat the foil with olive oil spray.
- Set out 3 shallow dishes for a three-step breading station. In the first dish, combine the flour, onion powder, salt, and pepper; mix well. In the second dish, combine the egg whites, water, and hot sauce; whisk together until slightly frothy. In the third dish, combine the Parmesan and flaxseed; mix well.
- Shake the excess buttermilk off one of the chicken tenders and press it into the first dish, coating both sides with seasoned flour. Shake off the excess flour, then dip it into the second dish, coating both sides with the egg mixture. Finally, place the chicken in the third dish, coating both sides with the cheese-flaxseed mixture. Place the chicken on the prepared baking sheet, and repeat with the remaining chicken tenders.
- Mist the top of each piece of chicken with olive oil spray. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until browned and crispy.