It is strawberry season in my area and their beauty is hard to resist. You can make some wonderful dishes with them but nothing is more pleasing than Strawberry Shortcake. Here is a healthy version that will help you celebrate the beginning of Spring.
Almond Flour Cake
Recipe shared by: Jovina Coughlin of Jovina Cooks
- 4 large eggs, room temperature and separated
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Strawberry topping
- Whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray an 8″ round cake pan with cooking spray Line the bottom of the pan with parchment and spray the parchment. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the sugar into the bottom of the pan.
- Using an electric mixer or stand mixer, whip the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Slowly beat in 1/4 cup sugar. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- Beat together the egg yolks, 1/4 cup of the sugar, and the vanilla in the mixer bowl until smooth.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients — flours, baking powder, and salt — and add to the egg yolks. Stir together to form a thick dough.
- Fold in the egg whites, 1/2 cup at a time, incorporating them fully between each addition. The final addition should result in a smooth, fluffy batter.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan. Bake the cake on the center rack for 30 to 35 minutes, until it’s golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the sides, then turn the cake out onto a serving plate.
- Allow the cake to cool fully before topping with sliced strawberries and whipped cream.
Strawberries 2 cartons of strawberries, cored and cut in half. Place in a mixing bowl and sweeten to taste with honey or a liquid sugar substitute. Cover and refrigerate for several hours.
Whipped Cream 1 cup of heavy cream whipped into soft peaks. Sweeten with ¼ cup sugar or sugar substitute.
To serve: Cut cake into serving pieces. Top generously with strawberries and top with a few tablespoons of whipped cream.