As the weather cools, it is nice to be able to serve some comforting food, My Italian version of this dish will definitely comfort you. I like to serve this dish with mashed potatoes and oven-roasted carrots.
Italian Style Stuffed Cabbage
Italian Style comfort food
Recipe shared by:Jovina Coughlin of Jovina Cooks
- 1 28-ounce can cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped Italian tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- One 4 oz can sliced mushrooms
Cabbage Roll Ingredients:
- 20 large cabbage leaves
- 3 slices bread from fresh rustic Italian loaf
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped green peppers
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a skillet and cook the peppers and onions until tender. Cool to room temperature.
- Make the sauce: In a heavy saute pan with a lid or a medium (5 to 6-quart) Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and saute for 4-5 minutes then add the tomatoes and mushrooms, bringing the sauce to a gentle boil. Season with salt, lower the heat, and simmer until thick, about 90 minutes..
- Make the filling: Place bread in the bottom of a large bowl and pour milk over. Let sit for a few minutes, then mash it gently with a spoon. Mix with meat, egg, herbs, onion, peppers, parmesan, and a pinch or two of salt and black pepper;
- Make the cabbage rolls: Lay cabbage leaves on the kitchen towels. Form some of the meat mixture into a golf ball-sized round and place it near the core end of the cabbage leaf, fold in the sides of the cabbage leaf and wrap the cabbage leaf around the filling. Repeat with remaining leaves and mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and pour half the sauce into a large casserole dish. Add cabbage rolls seam side down. You can make two layers. Pour the remaining sauce on the top of the cabbage and bake; covered with foil, in the preheated oven for 60 minutes.
- Remove foil and cook for 30-40 minutes more or until the cabbage is tender.
- Remove the casserole from the heat, allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.